Thirty-One Gifts

Hi! I'm now a consultant for Thirty-One Gifts! I use it to supplement my writing income.

Follow this link for more info:

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sleep Deprivation and Weight

I've seen research on the fact that people who have interrupted sleep or can't sleep lose less weight than those who get their eight hours.  That's one thing.  Next, you have hunger pains in the middle of the night when you wake, and you eat, because that's what you're body wants.  Right?  Tell me, who eats an apple in the dark of night?  So, your snack is not exactly healthy.

Don't forget how tired you will be in the morning either.  You'll be too sapped to exercise or even work properly.  Sleep is my main component in staying healthy.

What to do when you can't sleep:
1.  Get up and do a small chore (if you won't wake the rest of the house...)
2.  Don't play with your phone or computer. (I know, but I'm a writer.)
3. EXERCISE during the day, so your body will be physically tired and not just intellectually tired from work.
4.  Eat.  You need to make sure you aren't going to bed hungry.  You will have a hard time sleeping and you will most likely eat when you wake in the night.
5.  Read yourself to sleep or put a low, dark, boring show on and listen to it drone on while you fall into sweet slumber.  Now, doesn't that sound nice?
6.  Leave the TV off, turn your thermostat to 70 degrees (or lower for menopausal women!), as that is an optimal sleeping temp, and turn on your fan.  Your fan will lull you to sleep without those pesky commercials.

You may have your own ways to fall back to sleep.  I know I need more exercise.  I also, apparently need to eat more spaced out through the day, so that I won't be night hungry, like now.

These are my favorite ways to sleep, besides on my hubby's chest.  But, that's only mine.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Excercise gives me energy too!

    http://polkadotsandchampagne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete